Did you know?
–There are seventeen species of hedgehog in the world.
– Despite popular belief there are no hedgehogs native to Australia, and no living species native to the Americas.
– Like many of the earths early mammals, they have adapted to a nocturnal way of life.
– Hedgehogs are easily recognized by their spines
– A hedgehog’s spines are hollow hairs made stiff with keratin.
– A defense that all species of hedgehogs possess is the ability to roll into a tight ball, causing all of the spines to point out!
– Hedgehogs are fairly vocal and communicate through a combination of grunts, snuffles and/or squeals, depending on species.